Leave it at home
As with any new residence, there are certain things that ARE NOT permitted
in the DWU Residence Halls. If they’re on this list, leave them
- Alcoholic beverages or containers (full or empty). If it’s so
special that you need or want to keep it, leave it at home. It will
be a violation and confiscated here.
- Pets - You may keep non-dangerous/non-poisonous fish in a tank up
to 10 gallons, provided that you assume FULL responsibility for their
care and cleaning.
- Candles - Decorative candles are only permitted IF
THE WICK HAS BEEN REMOVED. If a candle has been burned
even once, leave it at home.
- Other fire hazards, including but not limited to: wood lofts, cooking
appliances (electric skillets, woks, waffle-makers, “fifth”
burners or open-coil heating appliances, and toaster ovens), Halogen
lights, incense, electric blankets and space heaters.
- Street/traffic/highway/construction signs and equipment - It is against
State and Federal Law and DWU policy to possess these. They will be
confiscated and returned to the Mitchell Police Department.
- Weapons, including, but not limited to: knives, BB guns, pellet guns,
pistols, rifles, etc. Your RD will work with you to make special arrangements
during hunting season, however ammunition is NEVER permitted within
the residence halls.
- Expensive items and/or jewelry -You don’t need them and they
may be a temptation to a potential thief.