The following selective list of print and online resources has been compiled
by McGovern Library staff as a starting point for research on J. R. R. Tolkien. It is not a complete listing of related materials held by McGovern Library or available online, but is intended to serve as a guide to some of the Library's resources, and as a pointer to a variety of electronic resources.
Encyclopedias And Reference Sources
- Authors & Artists for Young Adults, vol. 10 (Teufel REF PS 490 .A98 v. 10)
- The Cambridge Guide to Children's Books in English
- Contemporary Literary Criticism, vols. 1, 2, 3, 8, 12, & 38 (REF PN 771 .C59)
- The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Literature
- The Continuum Encyclopedia of Children's Literature (Teufel REF PS 490 .C68 2005)
- Encyclopedia of Traditional Epics (REF PN56 .E65 E64 1994)
- Fantasy and Horror: A Critical and Historical Guide to Literature, Illustration, Film, TV, Radio, and the Internet (REF PN56 .F34 F35 1999)
- Literature and Its Times: Profiles of 300 Notable Literary Works and the Historical Events that Influenced Them
- Major 20th Century Writers, vol. 4 (REF PN 771 .M27 1991)
- Major Authors and Illustrators for Children and Young Adults, vol. 8 (Teufel REF PN 451 .M38 2002 v. 8)
- Masterplots, rev. 2nd ed., vols. 4,9, & 11 (REF PN 44 .M33 1996)
- The Oxford Companion to Children's Literature (Teufel REF PN 1008.5 .C37 1984)
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Children's Literature, vol. 4 (Teufel REF PN 1008.5 .O94 2006 v. 4)
- St. James Guide to Children's Writers, 5th ed. (Teufel REF PN 1009 .A1 S37 1999)
- Twentieth-Century Children's Writers, 3rd ed. (Teufel REF PN 1009 .A1 T9 1989)
- U*X*L Encyclopedia of World Mythology, 2009
Searching the Library Catalog or WorldCat Local
- Subject searches:
"Tolkien, J. R. R."
"Tolkien, John Ronald Revel"
"Fantasy literature, English"
"Fantasy literature, English -- Criticism, Textual"
"Fantasy fiction, English -- History and criticism"
"Hobbits (Fictitious characters)"
"Middle Earth (Imaginary place)"
Print indexes available in McGovern Library*:
- Humanities Index
"Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel"
- Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature
"Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel"
*Note: Print indexes are shelved upstairs north of the newspapers.
- EBSCO Fulltext Databases: abstracts, citations and full-text articles
- Search the Subjects Index and select from headings such as "GOLLUM (Fictitious character)," or "BAGGINS, Bilbo (Fictitious character),"
- Use the People Index to locate articles on "TOLKIEN, J. R. R. (John Ronald Reuel)"
- Combine searches using the Search History tab.
- JSTOR (full-text articles)
- Topic search using "Tolkien"
- Proquest Research Library: abstracts, citations and full-text articles.
Topic searches such as
- "Tolkien," and "Gandalf"
- "Tolkien," and "Norse mythology"
- The Age of Anxiety (1945-1969)
- God on Trial
- The Hobbit (VT 1020) (animated)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (DVD 402)
- The Lord of the Rings (DVD 023) (animated)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (DVD 272)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (DVD 271)
- Tolkien's Monsters
- The American TolkienT Society -- dedicated exclusively to the study and fuller appreciation of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and his son, Christopher J.R. Tolkien.
- Biography of J. R. R. Tolkien on the Tolkien Gateway
- The Elvish Linguistic Fellowship -- The Elvish Linguistic Fellowship (E.L.F.) is an international organization devoted to the scholarly study of the invented languages of J.R.R. Tolkien .
- The Encyclopedia of Arda -- a personal project - a tribute to and a celebration of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. The site is evolving into an illustrated hypertext encyclopedia of Tolkien's realms and peoples.
- J. R. R. Tolkien Collection -- The collection of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien at Marquette University's Raynor Memorial Libraries.
- The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien -- Letters written to and by J. R. R. Tolkien. (This is a large pdf document that takes a bit to load.)
- LOTR Project -- a creative web project dedicated to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. It is perhaps most known for the extensive and ever updating genealogy, the historical timeline of Middle-Earth and the statistics of the population of Middle-Earth.
- Middle-earth -- from One Wiki To Rule Them All.
- Middle-earth Map
- Middle Earth Maps
- One Wiki To Rule Them All -- the Lord of the Rings encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
- Timeline of Middle Earth -- A timeline of important events throughout the history of Middle-earth.
- The Tolkien Estate -- J. R. R. Tolkien Estate's official website.
- Tolkien Gateway -- A wiki-encyclopedia of everthing Tolkien. This site's goal is to have the most complete database about Middle-earth and Tolkien as possible.
- Tolkien in Birmingham -- the area where Tolkien spent his childhood.
- The Tolkien Society -- An international organisation registered in the U. K. as an educational charity. The aim of this site is to encourage and further interest in the life and works of the late Professor J.R.R. Tolkien C.B.E.
- Tolkien Studies -- An annual scholarly review that presents the growing body of critical commentary and scholarship on both J.R.R.Tolkien's voluminous fiction and his academic work in literary and linguistic fields.
- Tolkien's Oxford -- a set of photos of places in Oxford associated with the life of J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Tolkien's Voice at the British Library