Finding Aid: World War I
The following selective list of print and online resources has been compiled
by McGovern Library staff as a starting point for research on the World War I. It is not a complete listing of related materials held by McGovern Library or available online, but is intended to serve as a guide to some of the Library's resources, and as a pointer to a variety of electronic resources.
Encyclopedias And Reference Sources
Print sources available in McGovern Library:
- Almanac of World War I (REF. D522.5 .B87 1998)
- Annals of America (REF E173 .A793 Vol. 14)
- Documents of American History (REF E173 .C66 1948)
- Encyclopedia of U.S. Foreign Relations (REF E183 .R96 1994)
- Encyclopedia of Prisoners of War and Internment (REF UB800 .E53 2000)
- The European Powers in the First World War (REF D510. E97 1999)
- The United States in the First World War (REF D510 .U65 1995)
- World War I Aviation : a bibliography... (REF D600 .N64 1997)
Print indexes available in McGovern Library*:
- Essay and General Literature Index
- Use for political position speeches, background, etc.
- v. 1 (1900-) - v. 9 (-1979) see "European War, 1914-1918" or "Reconstruction, 1914-"
- v. 10 (1980-)- see "World War, 1914-1918"
- Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature
- v. 4 (1915-1918) use "European War"
- v. 5 (1919-) - v. 36 (-Feb. 1977) use "European War, 1914-1918"
- v. 37 (Mar. 1977-) - use "World War, 1914-1918"
- Social Sciences Index
- v. 1 (Apr. 1974-) - v. 8 (-Mar. 1982) use "European War, 1914-1918"
- v. 9 (Apr. 1983-) - see "World War, 1914-1918"
*Note: Contemporary print indexes will be especially useful in locating articles on this topic. Print indexes are shelved upstairs on the Mezzanine against the front railing.
- EBSCO Fulltext Databases: abstracts, citations and full-text articles
- Search the Subjects and select from headings such as "World War 1914-1918," and "Treaty of Versailles,"
- Usethe People Index to locate articles on "Wilson, Woodrow," "Pershing, John J," etc.
- Combine Index and Subject searches using the Search History tab.
- LexisNexis Primary Sources in U.S. Presidential History
- Subject term searches of full-text documents in U.S. Presidential history. Search for "World War I" in combination with specific issues -- use the Subject List feature to locate appropriate headings.
- New York Times
- Search citations and document text using war and specific places and/or topics such as "Gallipoli," or "women," etc. Limit by date range to specify the the war years.
- Proquest: abstracts, citations and full-text articles.
- Topic searches for "World War I" limited with specific places and/or topics such as "Gallipoli," or "women," etc.
Periodicals available in McGovern Library (print, microfiche, and electronic)
- All Quiet on the Western Front (VT 204)
- The Blue Max (DVD 065)
- The Century (DVD 121)
- Gallipoli (VT 1103)
- The Great War 1918 (VT 734/VT 1719)
- The Guns of August (VT 1135)
- Men of Bronze (DVD 122)
- Lawrence of Arabia (DVD 006)
- Lost Peace, 1919 (VT 1721)
- Paths of Glory (DVD 076)
- Return to Isolationism (VT 1720)
- Up South (DVD 123)
- Woodrow Wilson (DVD 120)
- World War I: the complete story (DVD 085 - DVD 087)
Searching the Library Catalog
- Subject searches: "World War 1914-1918", "Argonne", "Versailles treaty of", or "narrative", "Reconstruction, 1914", "Lusitania", "German Occupation 1914" etc.
- Keyword searches combining "1914-1918" with locations or terms such as "France" or "Great Britain" with "prisoners," "peace," "campaigns," "social conditions," etc.
- Limit by publication year to see the most recently published or contemporary sources.
Australia in WWI (Battle of Gallipoli)
Armenia in WWI
Canada in WWI
Military Sources: Archives, Museums, etc.
Associations, Archives, and Libraries