Human Services Research Resources
Databases | Reference Books | Videos | Online Resources
Academic Search Premier (EBSCOHost)(searching tips)
Academic Search Premier includes general interest and scholarly articles in a variety of areas including the social sciences.
Criminal Justice Periodicals Index (ProQuest)
A comprehensive collection of U.S. and international criminal justice journals including information for professionals in law enforcement, corrections administration, drug enforcement, rehabilitation, family law, and industrial security.
EBSCO MegaFILE (searching tips)
EBSCO MegaFILE is a multi-disciplinary database spanning every area of academic study. It is comprised of EBSCO's Academic Search Premier, Business Source Premier and Regional Business News databases.
Provides access to scholarly journals in many social science disciplines. Coverage begins with volume 1 for each title. Depending on the publisher, the most recent three - five years may not be available via JSTOR.
Provides access to informaiton in a variety of areas including the social sciences.
Access to local, regional, and national U.S. newspapers. Paid advertisementss and newswire articles are excluded. This database includes the Aberdeen American News, the Minneapolis Star Tribune, and the New York Times.
ProQuest (searching tips)
ProQuest includes general interest and scholarly articles in a variety of areas including the social sciences.
PsycARTICLES (EBSCOHost)(searching tips)
A source of full-text, peer-reviewed scholarly and scientific articles in psychology from the American Psychological Association (APA).
PsycINFO (EBSCOHost)(searching tips)
Resource for abstracts of scholarly journal articles, book chapters, books, and dissertations from the American Psychological Association (APA).
Handbook on Ethical Issues in Aging -- 1999
Addresses ethical issues in aging in a variety of contexts--the social cultural environment, physical health care, mental health care, social health care, legal care, and spiritual care.
International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences -- 2nd ed., 2008
Includes numerous entries on topics in social science research and practice.
- Films On Demand (Select "Sociology" or "Guidance & Counseling" or "Criminal Justice" or "Family & Consumer Sciences" under Subjects)
- DWU Department of Human Services
- The Administration for Children and Families (ACF) -- Responsible for federal programs that promote the economic and social well-being of families, children, individuals, and communities.
- AgingStats.gov -- Established with the goal of bringing together Federal agencies that share a common interest in improving aging-related data.
- The American Counseling Association -- Dedicated to the growth and enhancement of the counseling profession.
- AmeriCorps VISTA -- The national service program designed specifically to fight poverty.
- Council for Standards in Human Service Education (CSHSE) -- A national board assuring the quality, consistency, and relevance of human service education programs.
- Counseling Outfitters -- Continues the development and delivery of many of the services and products previously provided bythe ERIC Clearinghouse on Counseling and Student Services (ERIC/CASS).
- Division of Anthropology, American Museum of Natural History -- The Division of Anthropology is dedicated to the study of human culture and biology. The site present high-quality images and detailed information about collections of the museum.
- HumanRights.gov -- the official United States Government (USG) website for human rights related information.
- Idealist.org -- "An interactive site where people and organizations can exchange resources and ideas, locate opportunities and supporters, and take steps toward building a world where all people can lead free and dignified lives."
- International Center for Alcohol Policies (ICAP) -- A resource for all those interested in alcohol policy worldwide.
- KidsHealth -- Provides information about health, behavior, and development from before birth through the teen years.
- Mapping the Measure of America -- Provides information on the "well-being of America" based on a 10-point scale.
- Mentor -- The nation's premier advocate and resource for the expansion of mentoring initiatives nationwide.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse -- Bringing the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction.
- National Organization for Human Services -- Working to improve the quality of life of service populations.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence -- Focused on ending violence against women and children.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) -- Focused its mission on building resilience and facilitating recovery for people with or at risk for mental or substance use disorders.
- Points of Light Institute -- A powerful, integrated national organization with a global focus to redefine volunteerism and civic engagement for the 21st century.
- SHOW/USA -- A free site that generates cartograms that give states prominence based on thematic characteristics rather than geography or physical size.
- United Nations Volunteers -- The UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide.